Friday, May 18, 2007

David Fulmer

David Fulmer has been a writer and producer for over twenty years. His most recent novel is The Dying Crapshooter's Blues.

I recently asked him what he was reading. His reply:
I've got a pretty fair stack on my night table.

Bangkok Haunts, by John Burdett. I gave it a fast read because I was asked to review it on deadline for Paste. Now I'm making another pass and taking my time.

A Left Hand Like God, by Peter Silvester, which is a scholarly study of boogie-woogie piano. He's an academician, God help him, and it shows, but this is the kind of work that people like me slog through, sifting for diamonds.

Finally, I bought a stack of New American Reviews from the late 60s for a quarter each and have been having a high old time with them -- speaking figuratively, of course. NAR featured much of the best of the decade along with a little of the most foolish and indulgent. Mostly quality stuff, though. These volumes, filled with terrific essays, memoirs, short stories, and memoirs from the prime talents of the time, couldn't get arrested these days. By the way, they fit in my pocket, so they travel well, too.
David Fulmer's first published novel, Chasing the Devil's Tail, won a Shamus Award in 2002, along with nominations for a Los Angeles Times Book Prize, a Falcon Award and a Barry Award, and was selected for Borders "Best of 2003 List" and other plaudits.

Jass, the second Storyville mystery, was published in January of 2005. It was selected for the Best of 2005 lists by Library Journal and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and won the Georgia Author of the Year Award for Fiction.

Rampart Street was published in January of 2006.

Visit David Fulmer's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Dying Crapshooter's Blues.

--Marshal Zeringue