Saturday, June 5, 2010

Doug Magee

Doug Magee has been a photojournalist, screenplay writer, children’s book author, death penalty activist, film producer and director, war protestor, college football player, amateur musician, and the basis of the Aidan Quinn character in Meryl Streep’s Music of the Heart.

Never Wave Goodbye
, his first novel, is out this month from Touchstone.

Late last month I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
I just finished the first draft of my second novel. I can't read much more than the newspaper (which in my case is the NY Times and quite a bit of reading) when I'm writing so I'm now starting to go through some books I've had stacked up.

I was introduced to Robert B. Parker very recently and am working through his long list of books. His passing is mourned by many, many readers and it's easy to see why. He's such a comfortable narrator, engaging and not the least bit of a show-off. I always have the feeling that he must have been much like Spenser in person. The current book of his I'm reading is Back Story.

I'm also reading The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron. He and I share an agent and he was kind enough to blurb my novel. I know that sounds all clubby and everything, but, well, I guess it is. Anyway, Paul's book is very good. It's the first in a series with Mike Bowditch and young game warden in Maine. Paul is the editor of a Maine magazine called Downeast and, as you can imagine, the book is quite atmospheric as well as suspenseful.

I'm about to start my yearly rereading of Henry Fielding's classic Tom Jones. When I do reread it I'm able to replay the movie from the book, starring Albert Finney, at the same time. Doubles the pleasure.
Read an excerpt from Never Wave Goodbye, and learn more about the book and author at Doug Magee's website.

--Marshal Zeringue