Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Caroline Clemmons

Caroline Clemmons writes historical and contemporary genre fiction. Historical romances, contemporary romantic suspense, mysteries, and paranormals are among her current works.

A couple of weeks ago I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
Hello, I'm Caroline Clemmons and I write romance. Oops, that sounded like an AA statement, didn't it? Not meant that way, I promise. I love romance novels because they entertain and take readers' minds off their daily grind and problems. I'm an eclectic reader, so you're in for a variety of books. I hope you've read some of them.

Last night I finished Welcome to Harmony, by Jodi Thomas. To paraphrase Will Rogers, I've never read a Jodi Thomas book I didn't like. This is no exception. Her characters are so well-formed they seem real. Yes, that's the point, but not something that always happens. Reagan is introduced as the central character. We never learn her real last name, but she's an adorable runaway who is not afraid of hard work. She is a little afraid of Jeremiah Truman, hates school, and yearns for a real home. Reagan's arrival launches the events that catapult this story and its characters into a book that will stay with you long after you've finished reading it. I can hardly wait for the next linked book, Somewhere Along the Way, due out this fall. I hope readers will also pick up the first of this series, Twisted Creek, for the story of Allie and Gran. Jodi Thomas delivers in that one, too, and it's set near Lubbock where I grew up. Reading Twisted Creek seemed like visiting friends.

The House on Tradd Street, by Karen White, and the linked book, The Girl on Legare Street. I put these two books together because the second continues the story of Melanie Middleton and Jack Trenholm. Members of the book club I'm in chose the first, and each of us liked it so well we chose the second one a few months later. These are paranormal stories--ghosts--and are well crafted. Even if you don't enjoy paranormal books, I think you'd enjoy these two. Secondary characters lend humor to lighten the tension of the battle Melanie and Jack wage against dark forces. Along the way, they discover a great deal about themselves and about Melanie's family. The books are about reconciliation and righting past wrongs.

The Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn is on my nightstand. Yes, all of them. My daughter collected this series and loaned it to me so that I can read them in order, something she knows I enjoy. I've read the first two of the series and adore Daisy. She is an Honorable who is penniless but doing something about it. These books remind me of Rhys Bowen's Her Royal Spyness series. The heroine is just as spunky, just as poor, and just as bound by the rules of an outdated peerage system. Okay, I'll admit it, I'm an anglophile and an admirer of Queen Elizabeth II. In addition, I love reading about the 1920's and 1930's. These are just my ticket!
Caroline Clemmons lives in North Central Texas and writes full-time, unless life interferes. You can learn more about her and about her books at her website. Visit her blog and comment to enter her weekly prize drawing.

--Marshal Zeringue