Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Inara Scott

Inara Scott's new book is Delcroix Academy: The Candidates.

Late last month I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
For the past month, I've been one giant ball of stress as I awaited the release of my debut novel, Delcroix Academy: The Candidates. (The release date was August 24th -- I'm doing much better now, thanks). In such times, some people turn to comfort food -- I turned to comfort reads (okay -- and a little ice cream, too). These are my favorite books of all time, which I re-read this month to soothe the beast within.

The Belgariad is actually a five book series by David Eddings, beginning with the Pawn of Prophecy. I've re-read three books from the series thus far this month. I think I first read The Belgariad when I was in high school. Every time I re-read it, I learn all over again how a real fantasy writer builds a complex world and establishes strong, unforgettable characters.

My other go-to comfort read is the Dragonriders of Pern, namely the first book in the seires, Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffery. Lessa, the heroine of Dragonflight, is my inspiration for a kick-ass, no-nonsense heroine who can manage to beat the boys, fall in love, and save the world all at the same time. My heroine for my Delcroix Academy series, Dancia, isn't quite as tough as Lessa -- but then again, who is?

The other books on my bedside table are the inspirational ones I'm reading to remind myself of what words can do in the hands of a true master. Last week I finished Cosmic, by Frank Cottrell Boyce. This is an amazing middle-grade book that managed to teach me some really good lessons about parenting while making me laugh AND teaching me about outer space. You try that with your next novel.

Right now, I'm absorbed in Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City. I have an enormous crush on Kiki Strike, the black-clad, coffee-drinking, teenage muse of the world that, little did you know, exists under the streets of New York City.
Visit Inara Scott's website and blog.

View the video trailer for Delcroix Academy: The Candidates.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Inara Scott and Riley.

--Marshal Zeringue