Wednesday, February 16, 2011

T.J. Forrester

T. J. Forrester has been a fisherman, a subsistence farmer, a bouncer, a window washer, and a miner. He is one of the few hikers in the world to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail. He has written fiction since 2001, and his stories have appeared in numerous literary journals. Forrester also edits Five Star Literary Stories, an online site that brings the best fiction published on the web to a new audience for both reading and review.

His new novel is Miracles, Inc..

Not so long ago I asked Forrester what he was reading. His reply:
I recently finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. The plot provided enough tension to keep me interested, but Lisbeth Salander made me hunker under the lamp and turn pages late into the night. I'm a sucker for dysfunctional characters who are capable of change, and I enjoyed watching her relationship with Mikael Blomkvist grow as the adventure progressed.

At the moment I am perusing the Appalachian Trail Data Book, the section north of Damascus, Virginia, where the mountains open into wide spaces in the Grayson Highlands. I was there earlier this year, and it was so cold my boots froze. I've hiked the AT three times, two thru-hikes and one hike made of long sections, and that was the coldest I've ever been on a trail. Brr. The only plus side was the bears were asleep.

I am also rereading my own novel, Miracles, Inc., which I suppose sounds a bit odd. I've never performed in front of a crowd, something I'm certain will come up in my career, so I need to practice reading aloud. I practice a scene in which the main character's little sister asks him to smother her if the pain becomes too much to bear. It's a poignant scene, and I cannot read it without my voice cracking.
Read Chapter 1 of Miracles, Inc., and learn more about the book and author at T.J. Forrester's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: Miracles, Inc.

--Marshal Zeringue