Thursday, December 15, 2011

Derek Haas

Derek Haas is the author of the bestselling novel The Silver Bear. He also co-wrote the screenplays for 3:10 to Yuma, starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, and Wanted, starring James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, and Angelina Jolie. His forthcoming film, The Double, starring Richard Gere and Topher Grace, is directed by his screenwriting partner Michael Brandt and will be released in 2011.

Haas's latest novel is Dark Men.

His reply to my recent query about what he has been reading:
I've been all over the place with my reading this winter. First, I picked up Brown's Requiem by James Ellroy, because it was his first novel and it was .99 on Amazon as an e-read. Living in Los Angeles and an avid golfer, I dug the LA-centric references and appreciated the book's dark twists. He's done better work since, but it was a good beginning.

Then I read Charles Bukowski's Post Office which I picked up in a London bookstore as I was visiting. Don't know why I picked it, mainly because I'd never read him and felt I should. I loved it. It felt like the kind of snark that fills up internet message boards these days, only done better and forty years before.

Now, I'm reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks which the talented actor Ben Barnes gave to me. The book is fascinating… bringing to life the horrors of tunneling during WWI.
Visit Derek Haas's website.

My Book, The Movie: Dark Men.

--Marshal Zeringue