Sunday, March 24, 2013

Becky Masterman

Becky Masterman is the acquisitions editor for a press specializing in medical textbooks for forensic examiners and law enforcement. She grew up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and received her MA in creative writing from Florida Atlantic University. She lives in Tucson, Arizona, with her husband.

Masterman's new novel is Rage Against the Dying, her first thriller. Early this month I asked her about what she reading. Her reply:
When I talk about what I'm reading I have to also think about what my husband is reading, because he reads different books and then tells me the plots. That way I get double the stories in the same amount of time. The reason we read different books is that he likes to read the same story over and over while I'm always hunting for the book I haven't read. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not being uppity and I love to see Jason Statham kick ass as The Transporter, I, II, III and so on. But when it comes to reading I'm waiting for the next John Burdett, the next Charlie Huston, the next Christopher Moore. Until then, I just was thrilled by a translation of a Japanese crime writer named Keigo Higashino, and the book was The Devotion of Suspect X. It's about a math professor who's crazy about his neighbor who's a single mother with a terrible secret--and there are genuine suprises that come straight from the characters. It was good enough so that I just ordered his new book, Salvation of a Saint, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it's as original as the other. Other than that I've started reading those shaggy baggy monsters that I missed when I was in school, or never appreciated. The trick is I only read four pages or so a day and don't care if it takes a year to finish. I just finished Middlemarch, by George Eliot, that way.
Learn more about Rage Against the Dying at the publisher's website.

My Book, The Movie: Rage Against the Dying.

The Page 69 Test: Rage Against the Dying.

--Marshal Zeringue