Friday, May 10, 2013

Erika Robuck

Erika Robuck is the author of the novels Hemingway’s Girl and the newly released Call Me Zelda.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading.  Robuck's reply:
In preparation for a short story anthology for which I’m a contributor, I’m immersing myself in short fiction. Because I loved Simon Van Booy’s novel, Everything Beautiful Began After, I thought I’d read some of his short story collections. I just finished Love Begins in Winter and I’m halfway through The Secret Lives of People in Love. I am now officially obsessed with his writing, and rather than give lists of effusive adjectives describing his command of language, the way he utilizes surprise to engage the reader, his fearless confrontation of life-altering accidents and troubling relationships, and his exquisite rendering of nature, I’ll proved a list of quotes from his work so you can get a flavor for his creative brilliance. I can not recommend his work enough.

“I think music is what language once aspired to be. Music allows us to face God on our own terms because it reaches beyond life.” Simon Van Booy, Love Begins in Winter

“Solitude and depression are like swimming and drowning. In school many years ago, I learned that flowers sometimes unfold inside themselves.” Simon Van Booy, Love Begins in Winter

“He awoke in the early hours of the morning, and although it was still dark, his room glowed with the soul of the snow that lay outside upon the streets and smoky roofs.” Simon Van Booy, “Some Bloom in Darkness,” from The Secret Lives of People in Love

“I suppose the key to a good life is to gently overlook the truth and hope that at any moment we can all be reborn.” Simon Van Booy, “Little Birds,” from The Secret Lives of People in Love
Visit Erika Robuck's website and blog.

My Book, the Movie: Hemingway’s Girl.

--Marshal Zeringue