Sunday, June 9, 2013

Victoria Houston

Victoria Houston is the author of the Loon Lake Mysteries, which are set in the Northwoods of Wisconsin against a background of fishing – fly fishing as well as fishing for muskie, bass, bluegill and walleyes. The thirteenth and latest book in the series is Dead Insider.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading.  Houston's reply:
I always have several books underway and my taste is definitely middlebrow (i.e. I am allergic to Oprah’s Book Club). Two days ago I finished Julian Barnes’ The Sense of An Ending, which I had started reluctantly after a pal forced it on me. I really enjoyed it! A very personable and engaging narrator got me into the book immediately. I have to admit that the ending left me confused – but I must not be the only one as an early reviewer on Amazon included a “spoiler alert” that solved the case. A very good read.

I’m not so happy with Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall but I am slogging through it because -- after all its rave reviews -- I gave it to people for Christmas. So I have to read it. But I never know who the hell is talking and all the names drive me nuts. I will not read the sequel – or give it as a gift.

Now…my guilty pleasure and a book I hope never ends is Richard Burton’s Diaries. I love slipping into a few diary entries every night before sleep. He was a fascinating man and writes so well. Love it!
Visit Victoria Houston's website.

The Page 69 Test: Dead Insider.

My Book, The Movie: Dead Insider.

--Marshal Zeringue