Friday, August 2, 2013

Jim Noles

James L. “Jim” Noles, Jr., is a partner in the Environmental & Natural Resources Section of Balch & Bingham, LLP, in Birmingham, Alabama.  An Army brat and former Army officer, he is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point and the University of Texas School of Law.  To date, his books have covered a variety of non-fiction subjects and his articles have appeared in such diverse publications as the New York Times, the Philadelphia Inquirer, Smithsonian Air & Space, Preservation, Urban Land, Continental, Thicket, Portico, Executive Traveler, Alabama Heritage, Mental Floss, America’s Civil War, and the Birmingham News.

His latest book is Dog Days: A Life in a Year of a Dog Named Pinot.

Last month I asked Noles about what he was reading.  His reply:
I’m reading a couple of books right now. One of them is Rick Atkinson’s The Guns at Last Light. It is the third book in his Liberation Trilogy, a history of the Allied liberation of Europe and defeat of Germany and Italy during World War II. Atkinson does a marvelous job of weaving individual narratives of individual officers and soldiers onto a broader strategic stage. His writing is first-rate. I think my dad paid the book the highest compliment when he said that was rationing his reading of it so that he did not finish it too soon!

I’m also reading The Legend of Bagger Vance which is, admittedly, about twenty years old now. You might remember the movie that starred Matt Damon and Will Smith. My eleven-year-old son is playing golf right now and I picked it up thinking that he might appreciate it. It’s probably a little too philosophical for him at this point but I’m enjoying it. I need a Bagger Vance in my life.

That’s about it on the recreational reading front. On the job, I’m currently reading a white paper entitled “Potential Enhancements to the Alabama Solid Waste Landfill Permitting Process,” but I won’t say anything about that. I wouldn’t want to spoil the ending for all of your readers who are waiting for it to be made into a major motion picture.
Visit Jim Noles's website.

--Marshal Zeringue