Thursday, February 12, 2015

Tom Cooper

Tom Cooper’s work has recently appeared in Oxford American, Boulevard, Gulf Coast, Mid-American Review, Willow Springs, and dozens of other magazines and journals. He lives in New Orleans, where he writes and teaches.

Cooper's newly released first novel is The Marauders.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Cooper's reply:
I’m about to reread The Car Thief by Theodore Weesner. It’s been about fifteen years. Sometimes the book’s in print, sometimes out. But more often out, which seems a crime. But it’s one of those books you see mentioned from time to time in author favorites lists. One of those books you can’t believe isn’t stocked in every bookstore. A gritty and realistic coming-of-age story, unvarnished by sentimentality.

What else? A lot of research on south Florida for a project I’m outlining. This great book of nature essays by Joy Williams called Ill Nature. A few old Patricia Highsmith books. Already Dead, by Denis Johnson, which I’m ashamed to say I’ve never read. Oh, and there’s this author Laird Barron, who writes these fantastic horror stories, some of the eeriest and well-written I’ve read for some time.

I guess you can say I try to keep my reading varied.
Visit Tom Cooper's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Marauders.

--Marshal Zeringue