Saturday, August 22, 2015

April Genevieve Tucholke

April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and Between the Spark and the Burn, and the curator of the Slasher Girls and Monster Boys anthology.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson

I adored the BBC series of the same name, and decided to pick up the book as well. It's a...peaceful book, one that provides a glimpse into rural English life before industrialization. It doesn't have a plot, per se, (unlike the mini-series)--it's more a series of sketches on nature and outdoor life. It makes me feel calm when I read it, in the same way as books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Another book that's been brilliantly adapted by the BBC. Simon Prebble narrates the audiobook and he is pure genius. This is the fourth time I've listened to it. I love this novel. Deeply. Clarke's dry wit, her imaginative footnotes, her understanding of fairy tales, her darkness...
Visit April Genevieve Tucholke's website.

My Book, The Movie: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

--Marshal Zeringue