Friday, February 17, 2017

Ryan David Jahn

Ryan David Jahn is the author of the novels Acts of Violence, which won the Crime Writers' Association John Creasey Dagger, Low Life, The Dispatcher, which was long-listed for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, The Last Tomorrow, and the newly released The Breakout.

Recently I asked Jahn about what he was reading. His reply:
Right now I’ve got two books on my nightstand. The first is James Sallis’s Willnot, which was my favorite book from last year. I like it even more now than I did the first time I read it. It’s quiet and subversive, the normalcy it presents a facade covering something much darker, as in a David Lynch film. The second is Ernest Hemingway’s The Dangerous Summer, a non-fiction book about bullfighting that is really about death. Hemingway is one of maybe half a dozen writers, living or dead, whom I’ll read simply because I want to fall into the rhythm of their prose. On deck, Art Spiegelman’s Maus, as my wife got me the two-volume hardcover for Christmas and, though I read the first volume years ago, I don’t remember much about it.
Visit Ryan David Jahn's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Breakout.

--Marshal Zeringue