Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Kathleen Anne Kenney

Kathleen Anne Kenney is an author, freelance writer, and playwright. Her writing has appeared in Big River, Coulee Region Women, and Ireland of the Welcomes, as well as other publications. She has had numerous short plays presented in Minnesota theaters and has published the play The Ghost of an Idea, a one-actor piece about Charles Dickens. Her play New Menu was a winner in the 2012 Rochester Repertory Theatre’s national short-play competition. She is currently at work on a novel based on her 2014 stage play, The Bootleg Blues.

Kenney's new novel is Girl on the Leeside.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I just read The Help – finally. I’ve seen the film twice and was ashamed I hadn’t read the novel, which I had bought years ago. It is truly an almost perfect novel. The character development, setting descriptions, situations, and depictions of personal stakes are drawn beautifully. For me as a reader, novels set in tumultuous historic periods are very compelling, if done well. Character development and an memorable setting are what I look for in a story. This novel had no stereotypes, no false steps, no contrivances. And Kathryn Stockett is a terrific writer. I know I will read it again, and hope her 1920’s novel will soon be released!

I’m currently reading The French Wedding by Hannah Tunnicliffe. I’m only about 50 pages in but I love the writing – very evocative, beautifully crafted. I’m a reader (and writer) who enjoys prologues and loved the one for this book. Can’t wait to finish it!

Other books "on deck" – Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave (recommended by our daughter) and Nutshell by Ian McEwan (because it’s based on the Hamlet plot and I love Shakespeare!)
Visit Kathleen Anne Kenney's website.

My Book, The Movie: Girl on the Leeside.

--Marshal Zeringue