Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Lindsay Hunter

Lindsay Hunter is the author of the novel Ugly Girls and the story collections Don’t Kiss Me and Daddy’s. Her new novel is Eat Only When You’re Hungry.

Recently I asked Hunter about what she was reading. Her reply:
Stephen Florida, Gabe Habash

Strange, funny, frightening, dark. Like a yawn that turns into a laugh, but there's the sting of tears in your eyes. It's one of those rare books whose construction embodies its soul and vice versa. Every sentence feels purposeful and fucked up and I was delighted and afraid. I recently read an interview with Habash where he said he seeks out writers "who can consistently start a sentence and you don’t know where it’s going to end." This book is like that every step of the way. And you know who else writes like that?

Mr. Splitfoot, Samantha Hunt

I'm in the middle of this amazing book right now. Read this sentence and die along with me. "Her fingertips will buzz, freedom in there, for Nat and her, lovely as the sun through a bottle of old pee." Come on. I feel personally challenged to be a better writer as I read this novel. I love that feeling.
Visit Lindsay Hunter's website.

The Page 69 Test: Ugly Girls.

--Marshal Zeringue