Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Ryan Kirk

Ryan Kirk is the author of the Nightblade series of fantasy novels and the founder of Waterstone Media. He was an English teacher and nonprofit consultant before diving into writing full-time in 2015.

His new novel is Nightblade's Vengeance (Blades of the Fallen, Book 1).

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Kirk's reply:
I'm a reader who enjoys reading both nonfiction and fiction at the same time. I'm always reading at least one of each. Recently, on the fiction side, I've been reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Although I've been a fantasy fan for many years, I only picked up Wheel of Time recently. As a reader, I love the scope of the story and the incredible depth of the world. As a writer, I'm constantly impressed by how he keeps the tension high, even after thousands of pages.

On the nonfiction side, I recently completed Lying by Sam Harris. Lying isn't so much a book as a long essay, but Harris makes a strong case for eliminating "white lies" from your day-to-day existence.

The other nonfiction book that I've really been enjoying is How to Create a Mind, by the noted futurist Ray Kurzweil. I'm fascinated by the direction technology is taking us, and few technological fields have the potential impact as artificial intelligence. As a primer to the subject, I'm not sure one could do much better.
Visit Ryan Kirk's website.

--Marshal Zeringue