Tuesday, October 31, 2017

S.F. Henson

S.F. Henson was born and raised in the deep south. She graduated from Auburn University with a degree in Animal Science, which she put to great use by attending law school. Her law degree has gotten some mileage, though, giving her the experience to write about criminals and other dark, nefarious subjects. She lives beside a missile test range in Huntsville, Alabama with her husband, dog, two oddly named cats, and, of course, the missiles that frequently shake her house.

Henson's debut novel is Devils Within.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Henson's reply:
I'm typically a monogamous reader, but I'm cheating a little right now and scandalously reading two books at once.

First, I'm currently re-reading 1984, by George Orwell. I hate being without a book, so I keep a couple in my car for emergency reading needs. I found myself alone at lunch one day recently, and without a book. I reached in the seat pocket of my car and was delighted to find 1984 shoved in there. It's been so long since I last read it that I'd forgotten some plot points that seem especially relevant to our current political climate. The particular copy that I'm reading is one that came from my mother's old classroom where she taught high school English and Literature, so it's a bit dog-eared and covered with students' highlights and notes. I'm very anti writing in books, but it's actually been quite enjoyable to see what students thought the story meant back in 1997 versus what I'm interpreting the story now.

I'm also reading Caraval, by Stephanie Garber. This is one I've been meaning to pick up all year, but it kept getting pushed down my TBR pile. It's about a mysterious, magical performance where the audience participates and everything is a game, a potentially deadly one. It has been completely delightful. The world is richly described and refreshingly unique. It's quite the juxtaposition to 1984, but I'm enjoying the opportunity to slip into another world for a while.
Visit S.F. Henson's website.

Coffee with a Canine: S.F. Henson & Francie.

My Book, The Movie: Devils Within.

The Page 69 Test: Devils Within.

--Marshal Zeringue