Monday, January 15, 2018

Mark Pryor

Mark Pryor grew up in Hertfordshire, England, and now lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife and three young children.

Over the years, he has been many things: ski instructor, journalist, personal trainer, and bra folder (he lasted one day: fired for giggling at the ridiculousness of the job. If it's any excuse, he was just nineteen years old.)

His first real career was as a newspaper reporter in Colchester, Essex. There, he covered the police and crime beat for almost two years. He also wrote stories on foreign assignments, including accounts from Northern Ireland while with the British Army, and from Romania where he covered the first-anniversary celebrations of that country's revolution.

Pryor moved to America in 1994, mostly for the weather. He attended journalism school at the University of North Carolina, in Chapel Hill, and then law school at Duke University, graduating with honors and a lot of debt.

He is currently an Assistant District Attorney with the Travis County DA's office.

Pryor's latest book is Dominic: A Hollow Man Novel.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
The Christmas period is one of the few times I can really spend time with a book or two, and I've just started one I can't wait to get home to. It was given to me by a friend who enjoys my Paris-based novels, and it's called The Paris Enigma, by Pablo De Santis. The premise is delightful: in the City of Light, just as it is about to be illuminated by the 1889 World’s Fair, a series of murders baffles an international band of detectives. I'm not very far in, but the voice (the protagonist is an assistant to one of the detectives) is so original and appealing that I'm hooked, and can't wait for the bodies to start popping up.

Prior to that I read a thriller, Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner. It's the second novel featuring her heroin Caitlin Hendrix and, in my humble opinion, even better than the first (UNSUB). Meg handles the revelation of the killer and the subsequent chase with eloquence and excitement, I'm guessing this book is headed for big things, I've been recommending it left and right!
Visit Mark Pryor's website.

My Book, The Movie: Dominic.

--Marshal Zeringue